Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Coast Starlight


The Coast Starlight train travels between Seattle and Los Angeles.  I caught it in San Francisco (actually Oakland, you take an Amtrak bus from San Francisco to the Oakland train station) and took the twelve hour trip south to Los Angeles, past farm fields and rolling hills and ocean views.


You can have your lunch and dinner in the dining car, but I chose to pack my own food and spend most of my time next to a big window in the observation car.  I had my favorite California cheese and chocolate (Humboldt Fog and Recchiuti Asphalt Jungle Mix), local raspberries, fresh mini sourdough baguettes from Acme Bakery and cherry pastry from Frog Hollow Farm.  Acme Bakery and Frog Hollow Farm are both in the Ferry Building which is right next to the Amtrak station and they both open early enough that you can pick up fresh stuff for your trip.  Plus you can have a Peet's coffee and a ham and cheese breakfast sandwich from Cowgirl Creamery Sidekick while sitting down by the water, watching the commuters come in by ferry and waiting for your bus.


I'll post more photos from the train trip over the next while...

No comments:

Post a Comment